Friday, November 25, 2016

Honey!



Honey is sweeter I ultimately turned to after the shit hit the fan and I was broken and fat and needed to do something, anything to help my leg heal.   One huge factor in healing my broken leg was losing some weight.

I wrote a lot about the wonders of honey in my new book, which means I did a fair amount of research.  One of the little tidbits that I learned about honey was its use as a wound salve.

Hugh?!

That's what I thought, too.  Why would anyone want to dab some sticky sweetener on their wounds?  So, I actively ignored this one tip.  I wasn't interested!  I didn't even consent to give it a try.  I didn't want to!   However, my cystic acne recently changed my mind.  I have vicious acne for a 50+ year old human.  Sometimes I get flair-ups with huge plugs that will hurt, burn, sting and not come out for anything!  I've used antibiotic ointments and other stuff on these acne flair-ups and nothing has worked.  Nothing helps these plugs come out.  Nothing helps the area heal.

UGH!

Recently my active flair-up was driving me crazy and I had to put something on it to soothe it.  I finally came around and decided that it couldn't hurt to try a dab of honey on my raw sore of acne hell.  I only keep raw honey because of pollen benefits for allergies, so that's what I used, naturally.  I put a small dab on my sore, covering it completely and licked my finger of the excess.  Nice perk!  Try doing that with antibiotic ointment!  To my shock, the honey stayed in place and didn't run hardly at all; in fact, it soaked in to my skin and helped create a barrier, a sticky one, but a barrier none-the-less.  Then!  Then it began to burn!  Not a vicious burn where you have to wash it off immediately, but a mild ache/burn similar to that of hydrogen peroxide but without the foaming action, and the sensation lasted much, much longer.  A good twenty minutes.  Then, the area felt much better, soothed rather than irritated.  The honey had soaked in for the most part and formed a sort of scab with just a tad of tackiness rather than all-out stickiness.

Impressive!  

It gets better.  I have never seen any of my acne flair-ups heal as well as this one and the horrid, painful plugs practically extruded themselves.  That is a first!

So, I'm rather sold on the whole "honey on sores" thing.  I really seems to do the trick!  I would suggest a bandaid to keep the honey in contact with the cut, sore, burn, whatever, till it's soaked in; about twenty minutes.  After that, it doesn't seem to matter if the honey on the surface is removed or not because it's soaked in and doing it's thing killing bacteria, microbes and whatnot.

Pretty cool, eh?  If you give it a try, post your experience in the comments and let us know what you think, how it did and all that jazz!  Even your dog!  We know honey is good for dogs, so it's going to help their cuts and stuff, too.  There's just that whole licking issue...so I'd love to hear what you do with honey and your dog and how it turned out.

And there you have it!  I never thought I'd try food on skin issues ..... oh, wait....  Mom swore by the use of meat tenderizer on bee stings (make a paste with water).  Dad kept bees, so he was "tenderized" by Mom on a regular basis.  LOL!  I just try and avoid getting stung.


No comments:

Post a Comment